Monday, December 10, 2012

Birthdays and Folk Dance

So I sort of like to call myself an amateur cake decorator. Only I don't really use fondant, because I think it tastes bad. And I'm really amateur. Like, 6-months-into-this amateur. Like, I've done three cakes. But they were awesome.

So for my dad's birthday, Ryan and I had him over for dinner with a bunch of his favorite foods, and I made him a cake. Now you must realize that all growing up we were a very healthy-eating family, and so the thought of using a cake mix or making something sugary and chocolatey for my dad was just too bizarre to even think about.

So instead, I made an applesauce spice cake from scratch and decorated it with almond-vanilla buttercream icing. And it was absolutely delicious.



 And of course, I decorated it with his favorite basketball hero's name. Around here, we call my dad Jimmerman.


A week or two later, I got to be in Christmas Around the World again with the International Folk Dance Ensemble. It was a great experience, and I'm so grateful for the chance I've gotten to be a part of the folk dance club these past two years. It's been a lot of fun and I've made some great memories!

These little Mexican dancer girls LOVED playing with us and wrapping up in our big skirts - this girl followed me around for 20 minutes!

Add caption




2 comments:

  1. I love your cake! And that's way cool that you were in Christmas Around the World! I love the part where the little girl followed you for 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the cake! It looks great! You are very food at that cake making thing! :) great job with folk dance too! Wish we could have seen you dance!

    ReplyDelete