We had a couple in our ward over for dinner last night. They are expecting their second child any day (moment!) now, and we spent most of dinner talking about babies and newborns and having children and how much we all love it. Part of the conversation that really stood out to me was how each of us had our own fears and insecurities about having children beforehand, but once the child arrived in our family they've brought nothing but joy and fulfillment. I wish I could share that feeling with every couple that worries about and fears having children, or who postpones starting their family because they don't think they have enough money, time, space, or enthusiasm to raise a child. We adore our little boy and wouldn't have waited one more minute to let him come be part of our family, even though Ryan still has 6-7 years of school left and we live in a little apartment on a student budget. Yes, it's work sometimes, yes, you lose sleep sometimes, yes, diapers and spit-up are no fun and sometimes children can push your buttons like nobody else. But it's things like this that really make you grow, and in turn bring so much happiness.
I like to sing Jack a song before naps (more for me to cuddle with him a minute than because he actually needs it.) My favorite is a song that used to be one of my favorites that my mom used to sing to me:
I love you, and you love me,
We reach together for the best we can be.
I love you, and you love me,
And that's the way that it's supposed to be.
I love Jack and Ryan and we all love each other - and that's the way that it's supposed to be!

No comments:
Post a Comment