Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Be Mine?

Ryan and I started getting excited for Valentine's Day waaaaaay back in January.

Personally, I think the holiday is a little silly. After all, why would you only spend on day out of 365 (or 366, for that matter) celebrating how much you love each other? Not to mention, the holiday is filled (and I mean FILLED) with all things pink. Eeuurrgchk. Pink is great. I plan to have a little girl someday and drown her in cute little pink outfits. But seriously. On February 14th, there's just too much of the color.

Nevertheless, Valentine's Day has its plus sides, and one of those is gingerbread houses. What, you've never heard of a Valentine's Day gingerbread house? Let me educate you:

 Ryan building his gingerbread house masterpiece.


 I have to brag about this. My house is UPSIDE DOWN. Yes, that's right. No glue involved. For the first time in my short frosting-making career, the royal frosting turned out just right, and everything stuck like magic. I think those houses were more earthquake-safe than our apartment building.







Our finished creations:


Our beautiful homes graced our coffee table until well after the holiday - by which time the candy had mysteriously disappeared off my little cottage.... don't know who might've done that...

Valentine's Day itself was quite an event.
It started with Jen quietly getting up with the intent to heart-attack the kitchen while Ryan was still asleep - only to have him sit bolt upright and insist she turn on the light.

And this is what she found. Turns out great minds think alike:

 Apparently he had the same idea - only about three hours earlier.
No worries, I still had time to finish mine:


 Later that day, Ryan surprised me with the coolest bouquet I've ever seen - and the tastiest, too:

And we finished it all off with a delicious dinner at Tucano's.

So despite the overabundance of the color pink and the increasingly ridiculous marketing schemes, Valentine's Day has, once again, proven itself a good excuse to have fun and celebrate being together.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the cute things you can do when you have money . . . and a living room . . . and a door to your bedroom so you can do sneaksy things like heart attacks . . . :)

    ReplyDelete